Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Six Days of Isaac - Day 4. St.Thomas’Hospital


Dearest Isaac,

You were born on the opening day of the 2012 London Olympics.  It was a day the whole country was looking forward to, and there were events taking place to commemorate the Olympics up and down the country.  As you can imagine, the excitement in London had hit fever pitch, and even the Houses of Parliament opposite my room at St.Thomas’ was getting involved in the action!  Before I could get in to the Neonatal unit I was taken to a side room in the Post Natal ward for observations and medication.  Because of the circumstances they had given me a private room so Darren could stay with me.  The room put most hotels to shame, and the view I had was of the Houses of Parliament was stunning.  Every hour, on the hour, Big Ben sounded his chimes and we were treated to a special Olympic history story and light show, which was projected on to the facade of Parliament.  Your strength and determination during your time at St.Thomas’ was inspirational, and just as great as the job our Olympians were doing.  Although I was only ever in my room for my obs and medication, the light show would always seem to be on during those visits back.  I remember thinking how I wish I could show you the pretty lights.  You may not have understood what it was about, but it was a moment in history that you were a part of. 
Once I had had my checks done it was 1am.  I went straight to NICU to be with you, but not before I was pushed down in to a wheelchair and told to come back soon to get some rest.  There was no rest that week. Our only thought was to be with you, and NICU became my home too for the next four days.

The process to just get in to the Neonatal Unit was immense.  Scrubbing up, putting on hand gel, hanging up coats and bags, putting away any food and drink, lockers...  It seemed to take forever just to get past this check point, but it was reassuring to know the hospital took all these precautions for their little patients.  Once through we went straight to NICU.  I can’t lie Isaac, when I first saw you in your little cot I was shocked.  You were hooked up to what seemed like hundreds of machines.  There were wires everyway and lots of beeping.  And you had your ‘spacesuit’ on.  I could barely see you.  I literally lost my breath, and felt a real sense of panic and loss.  Daddy led me to the edge of your cot, and I felt the panic increase.  I was scared to move any closer, but Daddy took my hand and explained that there was a chance you could still hear us and I needed to talk to you.  If there was anyone’s voice you would recognise, it would be mine.  I was scared of your sweetie.  I was scared to touch you, to speak to you, to even cry.  I felt that I had no right to be there.  Look what I had done!  The guilt was overwhelming and despite having being told time are time that I wasn’t to blame, that I had done nothing to cause this, it didn’t and still doesn’t take away the fact that it was my body that let you down.  Your Daddy wasn’t having any of it though, and made it clear that this wasn’t a time for self pity – I needed to be your mum.  He was right, and hearing those words snapped me out of the anxiety and fear.  I held your hand and whispered that I was here.
And so began our new relationship.  I was not the Mummy I ever expected to be, but I was a Mummy.  If love was enough to save you, you would still be here now. I was unprepared for the feelings of protectiveness and obsessive love I felt for you.  I refused to leave your side and had to be reminded on many occasions to go back to the postnatal room for my meds and obs.  The midwives were fantastic though.  There were no lectures once they learnt the seriousness of your condition and they would wait to see me when I felt it was okay to leave you for a few minutes.

Our time together that first day was so very special. I could hold your hand and feel you squeeze it.  I tickled your feet and watched them wriggle around.  The doctors would tell us it was just a reflex action, but I believed it was more than that. I would stroke your chest and tell you you were ‘a good boy’ when you would fit from time to time. Whether it was a coincidence or not, you always stopped once I did that and as far as I was concerned you knew your Mummy and Daddy were there.  Your Auntie Janeen bought you some books that day, and we read each one to you from cover to cover.  Your favourite story was ‘Guess how much I love you?’.  We kept all your books at the bottom of the cot.  In also went the little toy rabbit we had bought you and the receiving blanket that I would have wrapped you in the first few moments after you were born.  It couldn’t be used in the way it was intended to be used, but you could still have it in your cot now.
That Sunday I met your nurse, Debbie.  She was in charge of looking after you those first few days I was there.  We got to know one another quite well over those two days. I would sit on one side of your cot, Daddy on the other, with Debbie at the helm!  Nothing was too difficult for this wonderful nurse, and she did everything in her power to make sure we were all comfortable in this most uncomfortable of environments.  She would talk to us about you, how beautiful you were, how well behaved you were being!  You never caused her any problems!  Debbie taught us to read the machines and reassured us that you weren’t in any pain.  We chatted about the most mundane stuff I’m sure, but Debbie never let on that she was bored!  It was the opposite, she showed that she cared by talking to us about you, checking on how we were doing, letting us do little things for you like putting Vaseline on your dry lips and washing you down with cotton wool.  I remember thinking I had been taught to do this in NCT classes, but it didn’t seem so complicated then.   There were no wires to hold up or negotiate in those lessons!  We were given the opportunity to hold you.  It took literally two nurses about 20 minutes to get you out of the cot, making sure the wires were still in place before placing you on my lap on top of a pillow!  It was so worth it just to be closer to you though.  My heart broke that I couldn’t cuddle my baby like everyone else.  We also met with one of your doctor that first day – Dr Tan.  We were taking in to the ‘parents’ room’.  We later learnt it was the one place you really didn’t want to have to go in to, as ultimately it meant bad news.  We were told again that you were very poorly but they didn’t know the extent of the brain damage you had.  They wouldn’t know until you had the brain cooling suit removed on Monday evening and they could perform a MIR scan on you on Tuesday.  She told us to prepare ourselves for bad news.  At the time, I remember thinking how much I despised this woman who seemed to have no faith in you!  You had survived after all you had gone through at birth, and there was no reason to ‘prepare’ myself for anything!  Looking back, Dr Tan was so very gentle and kind. She handled the whole situation as well as anyone could.  What a terrible part of their job that must be! My anger was just pure denial.  But I hadn’t even spent 24 hours with you; you were going nowhere!

Sunday night I met Maria.  She was your night nurse.  A sweeter woman you would be hard fixed to meet.  I left you for about 10 minutes to have my meds, and when I had got back she had ‘tidied up’ and ‘decorated’ your cot with all the little things we had placed around you.  Your receiving blanket was placed on top of you, and you arm was draped around your cuddly rabbit.  It was such a cute picture!  Maria said it was important for you to have to all your things close by.  She talked to you a lot, and kept telling you to be a strong little boy for your Mummy and Daddy.  You clearly listened to her and had a good night.  Your blood pressure was strong.  Your fitting was minimal, and you seemed to be in no pain. Whilst you slept, Maria showed me how to change your nappy, not that it needed changing, you weren’t allowed any milk so it was completely dry.  However, you have no idea how much I cherish that memory.  I thought it was something I would hate doing a few months before you were born, but it made me feel like a real mummy.  I could ‘do’ something for you apart from just talking to you and holding your hand.  Daddy was too nervous so he left me to do it.  Your Daddy did eventually change your nappy the next night, and Maria and I joked that he was a typical man, all fingers and thumbs!
Monday was a special day.  We decided to have you christened.  It was something we didn’t dream of doing so soon, but as much as we didn’t want to admit it, we knew it had to be done sooner rather than later.  Your two grandmothers and your great aunt were there, as was your Uncle Lee, Uncle Adrian and Auntie Janeen, all three of whom had agreed to be Godparents.  The staff gave us some privacy from the rest of the NICU room and placed a screen around us.  The Chaplin was very kind and it was a quiet ceremony, but one that was full of inspirational and healing words.  She hadn’t given up on you, and asked that God look after you and keep you safe as holy water was used to christen you Isaac Colin Smith. ‘Colin’ was in memory of your beloved grandfather who couldn’t be with you then, but who is with you now.  It was peaceful and full of love.  Every person present loved you so very much, and none of them were willing to let you go yet.  Debbie was not just a nurse that day, but also the official photographer!  She even used the office printer (don’t tell anyone!) to print off a few copies of the photos!  That day I had such mixed emotions.  I was angry with God for putting you through this, but at the same time I was begging him to let you live.  I was trying to make deals with him.  I would do anything to save you, even give up my life.  A few days later, I realised God wasn’t going to play ball.

Monday afternoon greeted us with more challenges.  We were summoned to the parents’ room, and with heavy hearts we entered it for the second time.  This time we met the doctor who would be in charge of your care for the next three days, Dr Alan Groves.  The first thing that struck me was that this man had a real sense of empathy.  He was truly devastated that this cruel thing had happen to you Isaac, to us.  He spoke gently and carefully as he explained in more detail that although you were strong, and your heart and organs were healthy, the brain damage means that they may not be able to function so well as the days went on.  Your brain cooling suit was due to be removed soon, and we should prepare ourselves for the fact that your health may deteriorate.  He handled our endless questions with compassion and he confirmed what Dr Tan thought, that there may be very little they could do for you.  We would have to wait until Tuesday for anything to be confirmed though.
As the day turned to evening, we held our breath as they removed the brain cooling suit.  If things were going to get worse, this is when it was expected.  We spent the night in vigil by your cot.  I tried to make more deals with God.  I made Daddy tell me the actual story of your birth as I couldn’t remember much of it.  For the first time, I was able to see your hair properly.  You no longer had your ‘space cap’ on and I marvelled at your blond curls.  How was it possible that we had created such a beautiful boy?  I felt a sudden sense of panic again that no one apart from us would see how beautiful you were.  It was probably the first time that I allowed myself to imagine you not being here.  Refusing to cry in front of you, I went back to my room to have my obs done.  I didn’t openly cry until I was able to stare at the lit up view of Big Ben.  How cruel that you may never see this view yourself!  How cruel it was that you may never hear those chimes that once just reminded me of the time, but now had a sinister soul to them.  The Olympic light show appeared on the Houses of Parliament again, and as I watched the images of the athletes, I know you were just as, if not more, determined to fight than they were.   Composed, and back on ‘Mummy form’, I rejoined you and Daddy.  We read to you some more, held your hand, watched the machines and prayed within an inch of our life that you would still have yours by Tuesday morning.

And you did.  You were so very strong my darling boy.  Despite the fits becoming a bit worse, your heart carried on strongly and we felt a sense of real hope for the first time.  Daddy and I were so very proud of you.  You were so very strong and determined to spend time with us.  I remember whispering to you that you were going to prove everyone wrong in the MRI today.  You would show them!  Daddy and I watched and willed you to be strong as they took you down for the scan.  Daddy and I then went downstairs to the hospital cafe and planned what our next steps would be.  I was going to give up work and become your full time career.  We would all move to South London to be close to the hospital as we knew you would probably be in here for a while. You should know Isaac, that as a North London girl born and breed, that was no easy decision! Daddy would take a job in central London so he could be closer to our new home in South London.  We had so many plans, all very different from the ordinary kind you make when you’re pregnant, but they were plans that included you being here and that’s all that mattered.
You came back from the scan a lot later than we thought.  Whilst we waited for the results, we were able to hold and cuddle you more.  Daddy sung to you.  It was the song he had sung to me on his guitar when we first started seeing each other - James Taylor’s ‘You’ve got a friend’.  Daddy cried as he sung the words with more feeing than I have heard anyone sing.  I can’t sing sweetie.  I would have done, but I didn’t want to upset you or the other little patients so I thought it best we just talked!  And talk we did.  Well, I talked and you listened.  I know you could hear me though.  Those hand squeezes you gave made it clear to me that you could.  It’s the one thing I refuse to believe the doctors about.  Your hand squeezes weren’t reflex actions, they were you telling me you understood me, loved me and you were going to be okay.  I was, and still am so proud of my strong little boy.

Late Tuesday afternoon we were led to the parents’ room again.  In my mind it was just for your results, and as you had survived Monday night I was convinced all would be fine.  We knew you would have some brain damage, but as I said before, we had a plan.  The three of us would be okay.  But we weren’t going to were we?  Things hadn’t gone well.   Every part of your brain had been damaged.  You were not going to be with us much longer, and it was a matter of days we were told.  I sat there stunned as Daddy cried.  I couldn’t cry, I just didn’t know how to anymore.  The phrase, ‘it felt like a nightmare’ couldn’t be more apt.  I kept thinking ‘why us?’  What had we done that was so bad that we had to be punished in this way?  I thought we were good people.  I know we weren’t perfect, but we weren’t bad people!  I stared at your Daddy wondering how we were going to survive all of this ourselves?  I couldn’t protect you and now you were going to be taken from us.  I did the only thing I felt I had left.  I prayed.
And so the deal making with God continued as I sat watching you in your cot throughout Tuesday night. 

God obviously wanted you sooner than we expected though.  By Wednesday morning you had already deteriorated a great deal.  Your blood pressure was all over the place and your fitting was worse.  You were swollen and clearly so very tired.  It felt like you needed the MRI scan to happen so you could say ‘I’m tired Mummy and Daddy. I can’t go on anymore’.  I understand my darling.  I didn’t want to, but I did understand.  You had been so brave and strong, and had done everything in your power to make sure you spent some time with us, but now you were too tired to keep going.  Mummy and Daddy understood and still do understand.  You were our miracle boy in many ways, and still are.  Like those Olympians’ unfailing determination to do their best, you also showed sheer courage and strength, and have inspired so many to be strong and brave too.

Until tomorrow.
Love forever,
Mummy.  XxX

 

1 comment:

  1. In Psalm 6, David mentions that he drenches his couch with tears. My couch wishes I had read this somewhere else. I'm sure that all of your chairs feel the same way about the living and the writing.

    I admire Isaac's amazing strength and courage. That young man competed like nobody else at the Games, and like few people ever did or will.

    I know you're proud of your beautiful little warrior. What a wonderful guy!

    ReplyDelete